For many people, it’s more difficult to decide if it’s time to end your marriage than it is when deciding to marry someone. Is there a way to know if you’re ready for divorce?
Ending a marriage is a difficult choice that most people are not ready to make. But when you are in this situation, it’s important to know when it’s the right time to part ways, as painful as it might be.
When you speak with an experienced divorce lawyer in Suffolk County or any other location, they will probably tell you to watch out for the following signs:
1. Your spouse is abusive
This is a glaring red flag that entails the need for divorce. Abuse can manifest in many different forms, such as:
- Physical. Any physical act that is meant to harm another person is considered physical abuse. This includes pushing, slapping, kicking, restraining, and invading someone’s physical space in a way that makes them feel unsafe.
- Verbal or emotional. This type of abuse aims to criticize, insult, demean, and denounce another person in order to propagate negative emotions.
- Sexual. There are two types of abuse: physical and non-physical.
- Mental. People who abuse their partners mentally do and say things that are meant to chip at their spouse’s mental health and well-being, such as isolation, victim-blaming, and making the person feel crazy.
When these signs of abuse are present, it means your partner no longer has respect for you. Unfortunately, when there is no respect in your marriage, there is a dismal chance that there is still genuine love.
2. You are questioning your feelings about your partner
Even if everything else in your marriage is perfect, when you no longer have feelings for your partner, it’s a sign that a divorce may be right for you.
No one wakes up and decides that they no longer love their partner for no reason. The loss of genuine feelings for your spouse is often the result of something deeper. For instance, you may have married the kindest and most loving person, but if they happen to be a big gambler and cause you endless amounts of stress about finances, it can make you lose your love for them piece by piece.
3. There is infidelity in the relationship
Whether it’s you or your partner who commits the act of infidelity, it’s a clear sign that there’s something wrong with your marriage. It could be that there is a lack of intimacy and attraction in your relationship or there are unresolved problems that are causing you to lose touch with each other.
In any case, infidelity might be a sign that you should get a divorce. After all, it’s difficult to recover trust that is broken, and you need to decide if you want to try and heal from that as a couple.
There are other signs that may indicate the end of a marriage, but these, by far, are the most common ones. If you think that your marriage may be ending, consult with a divorce attorney today.